Today, Chippy-guy issued a public apology to the Philippine Consulate in HK for the racial slur article he wrote that lambasted the dignity of Filipino OFWs, in particular the DHs working diligently and conscientiously in his native HK.
His statement is acceptable and would douse off the nationalistic flames of angry Filipinos – and OFWs – around the globe. True enough, the Filipino people would eventually forget this little brouhaha (as we are wont to do) and move on. The cracks would be mended in time, that’s for sure, but this debacle of opinions has awoken the lethargic mind of a sleeping giant in this Internet Age.
Darth Vader said it best in the Empire Strikes Back:
“Apologies Accepted, Captain Needa” and proceeds to crush the windpipe of the hapless Imperial navy commander using his Jedi hoodoo.
On another topic, my sister graduated Bachelor of Science and Arts in Nursing today with surprisingly numerous, yet commendable awards. My family is so proud of her and I consider it a great honor that I am able to witness and attend this milestone of an event in her life. God truly is gracious. Thank you, Lord.
My wish for her is that she makes her goals a reality, and that she serves her country for the time being. When the time comes that she decides to go abroad (though, I am not encouraging her to do so), I wish that she goes to a country that is free, has equality, and with peers that respect her chosen profession. I hope that she will realize that she completed college not because of the work and the humongous compensation that awaits her abroad. No, that is an old and outdated mindset that should be deleted from the Filipino consciousness which is deeply rooted in our colonial history. More than enough, these beliefs are nothing but a pack of lies sugarcoated by more lies. Life abroad isn’t a lavish cherry picking expedition as most claim.
I hope that one day she realizes that college is an achievement of self in the hope that she may contribute to the betterment of society, and not add to the improper notions that Filipinos slave studying away to one day become well-paid ‘slaves’ (or ‘servants’) of someone else in a foreign land.
I believe she will improve herself and she will be a boon to others and make an indelibly remarkable name for herself. And what can I do when that day comes? Just stand aside, maybe, and marvel with awe the wondrous things she has -- and will have -- achieved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment