Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Baked Ziti

Today, I had this very odd craving for pasta and opted to dine out alone at Sbarro's in SM City North Edsa.

Much to my delight, I arrived at the restaurant just before lunch time and had the counter all to myself with the waitress giving her very cheerful welcome that's all business. A sumptuous selection of Italian cuisine was before my eyes that ranged from pizzas to entrees and salads to main courses. The exceptional aroma of the various dishes they offered was simply captivating and mouth-watering. Their Lasagna, Pasta Rustica, and Grilled Chicken with Penne were just, oh so tempting and palatable.

When it was time for me to choose, I just asked the waitress with the scintillating smile to give me a hefty serving of Baked Ziti. After settling the bill at the counter, a gentleman volunteered to carry my tray and I proceeded to take my seat.

To my surprise, I just stared at my dish and hesitated to taste it. Not that it was bad or anything, no. Far from that. I suddenly remembered the time when I used to eat this dish with the woman that I love.

My eyes followed the steam that rose from the cheese toppings till it dissipated before me. I suddenly found myself having dust in my eyes, and pretended that I only yawned to dispel inquisitive glances from guests on the other table.

The crazy appetite I earlier felt was now a million miles away as I fiddled my lunch with a fork.

I miss you terribly, my beloved, I found myself thinking before I took the first bitter bite of the dish I once enjoyed and shared with the most magnificent woman in the whole world.

No comments:

Post a Comment