Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sad, But True

Ah, Valentine's Day. It's been a while since I celebrated it in my home country. It's a blessed relief to once more see lovers holding hands while walking the street; sweethearts necking and pecking on some dark corner inside theaters; and couples causing the Richter Scale to register Magnitude 7 around hotels everywhere.

Oh, the thrills of being in love in a nation that's free! Shame that I missed a lot after 3 years of toiling in the desert. There, this day isn't celebrated and is instead...uhm...dreaded because M*T*W*$ (or enforcers for the CPVPV) are on double alert to crackdown couples (mostly expats) who wish to celebrate this occasion in peace.

In fact, today, flower shopkeepers there are doing their best to hide their precious stocks of red roses, heart-shaped chocolates, and teddy bears for fear of being arrested or closed down by these...uhm...enforcers. My thoughts go to the shops I used to frequent to purchase roses.

It's weird that these 'enforcers' still exist in this day and age, but what's even weirder is that their existence is an accepted way of life. Well, different strokes for different folks.

These guys are considered as nuisances. Of course, that is the closest euphemism merchants operating there can think of unless they want to spend the next few days (or weeks) in jail.

I agree that Law & Policy Enforcement is Justice that works for the People if they are carried out in accordance to WHAT IS JUST. However, if 'enforcement' transforms into thuggery it is plain and simple Oppression that civilized society should oppose and rise against without a second thought.

One time when I was still there, I saw a guy being apprehended by these 'nuisances' in a marketplace. His so-called 'crime': He was wearing his hair long. Where the guy ended up in, only God knows.

Nevertheless, Happy Valentine's Day to all my martyr buddies there.

Best of luck, gentlemen. Sincerely.

No comments:

Post a Comment